Skip to main content

Posts

Showing posts from February 25, 2014

Bitcoin virtual currency is on verge of collapse

Major Bitcoin Exchange Said to Be Insolvent


BY CHRIS O'BRIEN AND ANDREW TANGEL




February 25, 2014, 7:31 p.m.









It was supposed to revolutionize the global monetary system. Instead, the bitcoin virtual currency that has captured the imagination of investors and financiers is on the verge of collapse.




In a stunning blow to a novel way to buy products and services, the world's largest exchange for trading bitcoin currency shut down Tuesday, triggering a massive sell-off and sending many prospective investors away — perhaps for good.






"This is extremely destructive," said Mark Williams, a risk-management expert and former Federal Reserve Bank examiner. 



"What we're seeing is a lot of the flaws. It's not only fragile, it's fragile as eggshells."




The mysterious circumstances that triggered the failure of the exchange, Mt. Gox in Tokyo, is only adding to the renewed anxiety over the virtual currency, which just a month earlier had been gaining momentum and suppor…

USA expels three Venezuelan officials in diplomatic row

25 February 2014 Last updated at 17:12 ET

President Nicolas Maduro accused US consular officials of conspiring with students who led protests





Venezuela protests
What's behind the unrest?
Economic woes
Maduro's difficult year
A 'line crossed' in Venezuela









The United States has expelled three Venezuelan diplomats, in response to the expulsion of three of its own consular officials from Caracas.



Just over a week ago, Venezuela had accused the expelled Americans of having links with violent groups.





President Obama said the claims were baseless and false.




At least 13 people have been killed during weeks of protests in Venezuela, although the opposition puts the number of dead at 15.







The US State Department said Ignacio Luis Cajal Avalos, Victor Manuel Pisani Azpurua, and Marcos Jose Garcia Figueredo were considered "personae non-gratae" and had 48 hours to leave the country.





On 16 February, Venezuela said it was expelling three US diplomats for allegedly meeting students who …

MEXICO MANGO MAFIA : MEXICO MAKES CLEAR IT WILL HOLD ON TO 'EL CHAPO

Feb 25, 7:36 PM EST

'

BY MICHAEL WEISSENSTEIN AND E. EDUARDO CASTILLO
ASSOCIATED PRESS




AP Photo





DRUG LORDS' ALIASES
MEXICAN CARTELS REACHING FARTHER INTO U.S.





MULTIMEDIA


DRUG WAR INTERACTIVE










MEXICO CITY (AP) -- Mexico made clear Tuesday it is determined to keep Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman in its highest-security prison for the foreseeable future, putting off U.S. extradition in a move that could bolster President Enrique Pena Nieto's nationalist credentials but also shine a spotlight on the country's woeful judicial system.




Experts say Pena Nieto's administration and those of his predecessors have proven unable to match headline-grabbing arrests like Guzman's with complex, long-term investigations and prosecutions of deep-rooted criminal networks. Cases have stalled and cartels have continued to operate. Last year, one of Guzman's closest allies walked out of the prison where the U.S. said he was running drugs from behind bars.




The Mexican government says the…

NO MAS CUBAZUELA : Militares Declaran Su Descontento Con El Gobierno De Maduro

“A este gobierno no le queda mucho tiempo, depende de todos nosotros”, indica un manifiesto de 15 páginas que obtuvo DIARIO LAS AMÉRICAS








Ante la crisis que estremece a Venezuela, militares activos dentro de las Fuerzas Armadas Bolivarianas emitieron un documento manifestando su rechazo al gobierno de Nicolás Maduro y al mandato precedente del expresidente Hugo Chávez.






“Pueblo de Venezuela, estamos con ustedes, les pedimos perdón por los maltratos recibidos por la Guardia Nacional y policías, nosotros también queremos un país mejor”, indicaron los militares en un extenso manifiesto de 15 páginas que obtuvo DIARIO LAS AMÉRICAS.






(VEA EL DOCUMENTO AQUÍ)




El comunicado reúne la opinión de 590 oficiales, además de 1.500 miembros de la Guardia Nacional Bolivariana.



De acuerdo con la fuente que proporcionó el documento, la declaración representa el desagravio de 80% de las Fuerzas Armadas.





El texto comienza dirigiéndose al pueblo de Venezuela, afirmando que “ es muy triste ver los días tan difíciles…

ON A WING & A PRAYER : Ex-President Carter planning trip to Venezuela

2 hours ago













Related Stories

Ted Cruz On Venezuela: Nicolas Maduro 'Taking A Page' From Castro Playbook Huffington Post


Protests against Maduro unite Venezuela's fractured opposition Christian Science Monitor


Venezuelan opposition leader sits out dialogueAssociated Press

Protests ease in Caracas, US expels Venezuelan diplomats AFP


Venezuela death toll rises to 13 as protests flareReuters















CARACAS, Venezuela (AP) — Former U.S. President Jimmy Carter is expressing concern about Venezuela's escalating political crisis and wants to meet with leaders on both sides to help ease tensions in an upcoming trip.









Carter made the offer in letters this week to President Nicolas Maduro and opposition leader Henrique Capriles.









In the letter to Capriles, he urges the opposition to make clear its commitment to act within constitutional limits and strongly reject violence. He says the government must guarantee the right to peaceful protest and impartial justice for jailed protesters.











The Carter Cent…

GENOCIDIO EN CURSO: Siete de los 15 manifestantes asesinados recibieron tiros en la cabeza

@DolarToday / Feb 25, 2014 @ 6:30 pm





La evidencia está en las cabezas de siete personas asesinadas durante las manifestaciones ocurridas desde el 12 de febrero. Cinco recibieron tiros en el cráneo, a una le dispararon perdigones en la cara y otra fue golpeada en la cabeza hasta provocarle una lesión irreparable.










Aunque las investigaciones sobre los crímenes se mantienen abiertas, expertos adelantan que la misión de los agresores ha sido clara: matar. ³Los perdigones son usados para causar el mayor daño posible, incumpliéndose el uso progresivo de fuerza. En el caso de las personas que han muerto por balas en la cabeza se evidencia que el objetivo de sus victimarios ha sido matarlas², dijo Rafael Uzcátegui, miembro de Provea, que considera que la intención no es neutralizar a los manifestantes.





El criminólogo y abogado Javier Gorriño indicó: “No se dispara, en muchos casos, para dispersar, sino para ocasionar daño. No se lanzan tiros de perdigones al aire, sino en contra de personas. Se b…

MEXICO MANGO MAFIA : Importers expect slow March build for ataulfos

02/24/2014 11:43:00 AM
Mike Hornick


Courtesy Ciruli Bros. LLC






Ciruli Bros. LLC expects volume of its ataulfo mangoes to hit in April this season, says partner Chris Ciruli. 


As the spring mango season approached, shipments of the ataulfo variety out of Mexico were expected to climb more gradually than in some recent years.




“In the past we’ve had some pretty aggressive marches as far as volume,” Chris Ciruli, partner in Nogales, Ariz.-based Ciruli Bros. LLC, said Feb. 3.




“I don’t think we’re going to see that early volume hit in March. You’re going to see more of an April crop.”





Ciruli Bros. markets the yellow variety under its Champagne label, which it ships from facilities in Nogales and Donna, Texas. 



As production gains steam, they’ll become more of an alternative to the South American kents that retailers have been buying lately.





The U.S. Department of Agriculture scheduled its first f.o.b. report on Mexican ataulfos for around Feb. 23. 



Light crossings only were expected until then, withou…

MYSTERY SOLVED : A 30-foot-high mango 'stolen' in Australia has been found

Allison Jackson



February 24, 2014 14:42Updated February 25, 2014 16:50




The disappearance of the 'bloody big mango' was part of a publicity stunt.









The mystery of the missing mango in Australia has been solved. 






A chicken fastfood chain on Tuesday confessed to picking off the 10-ton, three-storey high Big Mango from the tourist information center in the Queensland town of Bowen in the early hours of Monday and hiding it in a nearby paddock.




Nando's issued a statement saying it would “take good care of the mango, and would return it to its rightful position soon(ish)."






Security camera footage posted on a Facebook page for the Big Mango showed the alleged thieves armed with heavy equipment and a mobile crane removing the fruity landmark in the dead of night.





The fiberglass statue was erected in 2002 at a cost of $90,000 to attract more tourists to Australia's mango production hub.






Soon after the story broke on Monday morning it emerged that the tourism bureau had not report…